Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Review: Vintage Rye 21 Year


Vintage Rye 21 is not a whiskey I have seen around much. I grabbed a couple bottles in NYC last year while I was hunting for it's younger cousin, Vintage Bourbon 17 year. While I didn't find the bourbon, I was pretty excited about finding the rye on sale for $65 (the other bottles I've seen are $85+). I included this guy in a random tasting a while ago and it didn't fare so well. It was my least favorite, and came in 2nd place when the other votes came in (losing to Elmer T Lee bourbon and edging out Singleton scotch). Let's see if it's grown on me at all.

Vintage Rye 21 Year Old - Tasting Notes


Vintage Rye 21 Review
Vintage Rye 21 Year Old
Nose: Very sweet, like cinnamon & red hot syrup. This is a great combo for my tastes. I definitely don't recall enjoying the nose this much from previous pours.

Palate: Viscous and sweet from the start. Vanilla, caramel and spice jump out to me but it feels like there is a lot more going on. I even caught a little coca-cola-esque flavor in there.

Finish: Ah yes, this may have been why I don't hold this rye in higher esteem. The finish has the same spice which is present throughout, but other than that it really seemed to dry the mouth out and leave a lot of oak. However, if you enjoy a strong oak presence this may be the perfect rye for you. And honestly, it's been aged for 21 years... I'd be shocked if the oak flavor were any subtler.

Proof: 94 (47% ABV)
Price: ~$85


This has definitely grown on me since the first few pours I had. The nose & palate are phenomenal but the finish just isn't my favorite. With that being said, I'd still gladly accept a pour of this and if I come across it I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a bottle. This is a great, great value for a well-aged rye, especially one that is a whopping 21 years old.

Vintage Rye 21 Year Old Rating: 8.8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment