Thursday, May 2, 2013

Ending my extended absence

fyi - this post won't have much whiskey talk so feel free to browse some of my other posts if that's what you're after

You may or (most likely) may not have noticed it's been a while since my last post. That's in part to a couple of valid excuses and also in part to me just not wanting to blog. March ended with my annual guys trip to Vegas, which was quickly followed by the start of baseball season. Attending about 30 Detroit Tigers games per season takes up it's fair share of time. Don't get me wrong, I love going to the ballpark, but it limits the amount of nights I can spend sipping and writing about quality booze. Then in my consistently sub-par attempts at being athletic, I sprained my ankle playing basketball in mid-April. A trip to the ER, a pair of crutches and a walking boot later I can officially say ankle sprains BLOOOOOOW (here is the damage if curious). I start 6 weeks of physical therapy tomorrow and have been completely to moderately useless for the majority of the past 3 weeks. Mixing the booze with the one-week supply of vicodin I got was probably bad news, soooo, (cue Soup Nazi voice) "No Sauce For Me!'". On the bright side, one of the doctors I saw did say "wow, this is the worst I've seen". So that was pretty encouraging.

Enough of the pity party and the excuses though... the truth is I could have made a post here or there but for whatever reason, I just wasn't interested in writing. And quite honestly, the booze didn't taste that great to me. This was troubling. Whiskies that I loved previously tasted way too much like I was chewing on a barrel that was on fire. Scotch tasted fine to me, but not great, and all of my bourbons and ryes just didn't seem that enjoyable. The best sip I had during that stretch was some Jefferson's 18 out of my flask on Opening Day. This may have been due to the general euphoria that surrounds me like the body condoms in The Naked Gun for the Tigers home opener. As a result, I stuck primarily to beers with the occasional scotch.

Luckily, I was able to bust out of my slump last night when a quick pour of Elmer T. Lee tasted outstanding. I followed this up with a small pour of Vintage 21 rye which was equally enjoyable. My plan is to review both of those in the coming weeks. I'll also write a quick recap of some of my favorite cocktail bars in cities I've recently visited. Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago, New York, and my hometown of Detroit (one of the most underrated cities in the country if you ask me) will be included.

That's it for my self-indulgent post... the booze posts will be coming soon

No comments:

Post a Comment