Sunday, May 5, 2013

Elmer T Lee Review & Tasting Notes

I'm back, baby! It's Cinco de Mayo and nothing says "fiesta!" like Kentucky Bourbon! I'm enjoying the day with my good friend Elmer T. Lee. This is a Buffalo Trace product and uses their #2 mash bill which has a higher rye content than their #1 mash bill. Unlike many of the other bourbons bearing the name of old whiskey magnates, Mr. Lee is still alive and well at the time of this writing. Not only is he still kicking, but he also tastes and selects all of the barrels to determine whether or not they get to wear the Elmer T. Lee name. I did a head-to-head comparison of the Elijah Craig 18 and Elmer T Lee a while ago, but seeing as this is one of my favorites I figured it deserved a full write-up.

Elmer T Lee Review
Elmer T Lee bourbon

Elmer T Lee Single Barrel - Tasting Notes


Nose: Soft and sweet. Some citrus and spice come out upon further examination. Not an overpowering nose, but a very enjoyable one. In my previous tasting a mentioned a faint presence of oak which I'm not picking up here. I also compared it to a fig newton which I get a little bit of.

Palate: Sweet on the entry with some maple, citrus and honey. This is followed with a good bit of spice and some hints of oak as it hangs around in the mouth. A great balance of sweet and spicy with this bourbon.

Finish: Very smooth finish - light vanilla with spice throughout.

Proof: 90 (45% ABV)
Price: ~$33


Overall this is one of my favorites. Though harder to find than it once was, it is still widely available and comes at a very affordable price. This is a bourbon that is accessible to all levels of experience and one that I'd put up against just about any other single barrel bourbon offerings. It's one of the few bottles that I plan on having opened and in-stock at all times in my liquor cabinet.

Elmer T Lee Rating: 9.3/10

1 comment:

  1. They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. See the link below for more info.


    #deserved
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete