Sunday, January 5, 2014

Review: Jack Daniels Gift Set Sampler

Jack Daniels Sampler Pack
The Jack Daniel's line-up of whiskeys
Over the holidays I received the Jack Daniel's gift set sampler. I only drink Jack Daniel's sparingly and even then it's typically mixed with Coke (or Leonard's if you're at a non-Coke/Pepsi affiliated bar in the Metro Detroit area). I figured my lack of familiarity would make for a good blind tasting. The Honey Jack would obviously be detectable, but I was hoping the other 3 would give me a pleasant surprise.

Here is how I ranked them:

1 - Jack Daniel's Single Barrel

2 - Jack Daniel's Old No. 7

3 - Gentleman Jack

4 - Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey


The honey was easily identifiable both on the nose and palate. It was almost like a blend of honey and honey-flavored Kool-Aid. Definitely a light sipper for someone with a sweet tooth. Coming in only slightly ahead of that was Gentleman Jack. I was surprised this finished as far behind Old No 7 and the Single Barrel as it did. While it was very smooth and mellow, it was also boring and bland. Not a whole lot of flavor but that might actually make the Gentleman Jack a nice introductory pour for someone looking to get into American Whiskey. On the other hand, this might even be a bit non-descriptive for that task while something like an Evan Williams Single Barrel would probably be a better (and cheaper) choice.

As for the final two, the flavor profiles were similar. Slightly smooth, with some caramel and corn notes but the charcoal filtering likely takes away some of the character typically seen in quality bourbons (obligatory clarification between bourbon and Jack Daniel's can be seen here). I ended up picking the single barrel as my favorite sample of the night, but just barely. It seemed to take some of the overly subtle flavor notes and amplify them just a bit. The higher proof (94 vs 80) probably gave it the edge in flavor, but really the difference wasn't that pronounced. Plus, since it's a single barrel it can (and likely will) vary a bit from from barrel to barrel.

All in all, if I were spending my money on a bottle I'd lean towards the flagship Jack Daniel's Old No. 7. Even though I liked the Single Barrel slightly better, I wouldn't be able to justify doubling my investment to upgrade from the Old No. 7.

1 comment:

  1. Over the holidays I received the Jack Daniel's gift set sampler. I only drink Jack Daniel's sparingly and even then it's typically mixed with Coke ... ijackdaniels.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete