Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Rittenhouse Rye Review - 100 Proof Bottled in Bond

My previous experience with Rittenhouse Rye Bottled in Bond (BIB) is entirely as a mixer. If I'm in a cocktail bar and order a rye-based drink (or if I'm making one at home), Rittenhouse is what I typically run with. Oddly enough, I don't think I've ever given this a try on it's own. Well I decided it was time to give this well-respected rye a spin.

A little info on BIB if interested - the whiskey has to meet a number of criteria

  • must be the product of one distiller at one distillery
  • it has to be produced in one year
  • needs to be bottled at 100 proof
  • must be aged in a federally bonded warehouse under US Govt supervision
  • aged for at least four years


Rittenhouse Rye Bottle in Bond Review
Rittenhouse Rye

Rittenhouse Rye - Tasting Notes


Nose: Light bubble gum with rye spice, vanilla & marshmallow. A slight tinge of young whiskey smell, but you have to look for it.

Palate: The palate starts off with vanilla sweetness, then turns to cinnamon spice... like having a stick of Big Red liquefy in your mouth.

Finish: The spice is predominant here. Very intense cinnamon heat that stays with you for a while. As this dissipates the young whiskey characteristics stick around for a bit making the finish a bit unpleasant

Proof: 100 (50% ABV)
Price: $23

I was a little surprised I didn't like this more than I did. After all, it has gotten favorable reviews from some well respected sources (as opposed to the efforts of this amateur) A bit of water helped remove some of the unpleasant notes while keeping the sweet & spicy flavors around. Keep in mind the rating below is if drinking Rittenhouse neat. This Rye works well over ice and is still going to be my go-to rye in cocktails. I'd put it closer to 8.5+ for either of those approaches.

Rittenhouse Rye Rating: 7.6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment