Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Review: Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye


Thomas H Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey is our 3rd review from the highly esteemed Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (George T Stagg & William Larue Weller being the first 2). In my experience this has been the easiest of the BTAC to track down, which still makes it pretty effing tough to find. It's also worth noting that the bottle in question here is from the 2010 release. Let's see how it tastes...
Thomas H Handy Rye Review
Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye (2010)

Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye Whiskey - Tasting Notes


Nose: Strong, spicy heat with the high proof on display. In time some very light oak and a good dose of cinnamon show themselves
Palate: Cinnamon frosting, even at full strength the sweetness comes through at first and the heat follows
Finish: Some burn from the high proof, but a stronger note of candy red hots is there from the start and gives way to the sweet cinnamon flavor seen on the initial sip

Proof: 126.9 (63.45% ABV)
Price: ~$80

For a high proof, relatively young (I've seen it listed anywhere from 6-8+ years old) rye, the Handy is quite impressive. What surprised me is how sweet this whiskey is; if you're in the mood for a high-end cocktail it makes an absolutely killer Sazerac. On a side note, my lovely assistant and I were headed to a Red Wings game one evening and felt like taking a roadie for the ~1 mile walk to the game. We ended up going with the Handy in a tiny paper cup. The high proof juice ended up seeping through the cup and lightly soaking the finger tips of the gloves I was wearing. Though I was sad a little of it went to waste, the gloves I was wearing smelled FANTASTIC for the next month. Needless to say, I like to have a bottle of this stuff on hand at all times.

Thomas H Handy Rating: 9.1/10

2 comments:

  1. where can I buy a Bottle ASAP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could tell you. Most places that received an allocation in the fall are likely sold out. It might be worth calling some of the nicer liquor stores in your area to see if they have it or can point you in the right direction.

      Otherwise I'd suggest hunting for something from an online seller. My knowledge of them is pretty minimal though since I live in a state that doesn't allow liquor to be shipped.

      Delete