Monday, February 11, 2013

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year Review

Old Rip Van Winkle Review - 10 year 107 proof
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year Bourbon

My first Van Winkle review takes a look at the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year bourbon (107 proof). Not sure what else I can write about this bourbon as it is likely the most heavily reviewed and discussed whiskey on the web. If you are new to the bourbon game, you probably are at least aware of the Van Winkle name. If you are a veteran, you are likely tired of hearing about it. Personally I think it is a great bourbon, but the amount of work that typically goes in to finding a bottle isn't worth it. And most bars/restaurants that carry it gouge the hell out of the price. Knowing all of this, I pretty much never drink it when I'm not at home and I probably won't burn any calories fighting the hordes for a bottle during its spring and fall releases. Think Wal-Mart on Black Friday or trying to exit the arena after a sold out game... way more people around than you want, there's a chance it could get ugly and you will likely walk away disappointed with the experience. Ok, enough of that... how is the sauce?

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 107 Proof - Tasting Notes


Nose: buttered corn, burnt sugar, prunes, maple syrup, a little butterscotch, light spice and oak
Palate: sweet entry that starts smooth and transitions to a bit of spice and some heat from the alcohol. There is a little oak and char towards the end.
Finish: light char and oak, lingering toasted marshmallow and spice. My mouth is still watering a good minute or two after sipping, the finish definitely sticks around for a while.

Proof: 107 (53.5% ABV)
Price: ~$45

For all the hype, I almost don't want to like this bourbon, but good juice is good juice. Allegedly the 10 year is easier to find than the Van Winkle that gets the name "Pappy" bestowed upon it (15, 20 & 23 year), though I haven't found this to be the case. I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the other ORVW 10 year which checks in at 90 proof. From what I have read it's flavor is pretty much the same as this bottle, just not as concentrated - as one would expect. With that being said, the 90 proof is tougher to find and I think they may just be producing the 107 proof now. Enough of my ranting... overall this is a solid pour. If you can find a bottle for around $50 or better you should pull the trigger.

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year Rating: 8.8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment