Saturday, January 4, 2014

Review: Hudson Single Malt Whiskey


I've long been unexcited about trying anything from the Hudson family of whiskeys. There isn't much that entices me about a whiskey bottled at 375ml and priced higher than many 750ml bottles. However, I saw it on the menu at a local restaurant for $8 and figured what the hell... it's a fairly low price compared to what is normally seen in bars and a hell of a lot better than forking over $45 for 375ml. The bottle claims it is made with 100% malted barley and aged for under 4 years. I assume this means more than 3 years, but really it could be younger than that.


Hudson Single Malt Whiskey Review
Hudson Single Malt Whiskey

Hudson Single Malt Whiskey - Tasting Notes


Nose: Initially sweet, light and fruity. Other reviews have mentioned some cinnamon, but I didn't detect that. While not very layered, the nose is pleasant. Maybe my pre-conceived notions on this were wrong...

Palate: Initially sweet an fruity, reminiscent of a lighter scotch or Irish whiskey. Then comes some spicy heat and oak with heavy malt flavor all intermingled with the flavor of a young spirit. The palate starts enjoyable but the end is rough and offensive.

Finish: A tough one to get through. The finish on this wasn't extremely long, but I wish it had been shorter. Young alcohol burn and taste complete the descent of what was a promising start.

Proof: 92 (46% ABV)
Price: $45


Ugh, whiskeys like this kind of make me angry. I'm sure there is a market for these as it seems to have been around for a while, but I just don't see the appeal. They are aged in small barrels which may help the aging process in the eyes of some, but this was tried by Buffalo Trace and declared a failure. If you cut the price in half and doubled the size of the bottle ($22 for 750ml), I'd probably give this something in the mid-to-high 7 range. But with the price and size as is, this seems like a borderline criminal offering.

Hudson Single Malt Whiskey Rating: 6.7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment